Initiatives Managed by City Manager
Most major projects undertaken by the City of Charlottesville are managed by specific departments that report to the City Manager's Office. Other projects that cross departmental responsibilities and that generate, or have the potential to generate, significant community inquiries are managed directly by the City Manager and Deputy City Managers.
Deer Population Management
The City of Charlottesville will be working with a wildlife management specialist to implement a deer management operation that will begin February 1, 2021 and end in March. The program was first initiated during 2018. City Council approved the program in response to numerous and sustained complaints about hazardous driving conditions, health concerns stemming from Lyme disease, landscapes being impacted by an overabundant deer population, and the health of the local herd.
The operation will take place in City of Charlottesville parks during nighttime hours. The goal is to remove up to 125 deer annually. During 2018-2020 deer culling has removed an average of 92 deer annually. The operation will be carefully coordinated with the Emergency Communications Center and the Charlottesville Police Department.
In 2018, the program produced the following results:
- The program occurred over 11 nights between February 20 and March 8.
- 125 deer were culled on nine City of Charlottesville-owned properties.
- 2,850 pounds of venison were donated to the Loaves & Fishes Food Pantry.
- Instructions were given to our selected wildlife management firm to avoid shooting Charlottesville's albino/white deer and the program ended with that guidance being honored.
- Why is there a deer culling program?
- Who will be performing the deer management operation?
- What are Blue Ridge Wildlife & Pest Management's qualifications and how were they selected?
- How much will this cost the City?
- How will the deer be removed?
- What should I do if I think I hear gunshots?
- What happens to the deer?
- When is this taking place?
- Where will this happen?
- Am I allowed in the parks while this happens?
- Are citizens allowed to shoot deer in the City?
- What about the white deer I have seen, are they protected?
- What do I do if I have additional questions?