City Council will hold a public hearing for the Charlottesville Development Code and Zoning Map on December 5, 2023.
Purpose: The public hearing will provide affected persons an opportunity to appear and present their views (2 minute limit) with respect to the proposed Development Code/Zoning Ordinance and proposed Zoning Map updates.
Date: December 5, 2023.
Location: Council Chambers (605 E Main Street) with overflow space at CitySpace (100 Fifth St NE).
Time: Hearing starts at 4:00 PM. Sign up to provide testimony starting at 3:30pm.
Important Note: If you wish to speak at the hearing, you must attend in person.
To Provide Testimony: Please sign up on the sheet in the hallway outside of Council Chambers. Sign up will begin at 3:30pm and will continue until all people on the list have been able to provide testimony.
To Listen In Virtually: You will be able to register here Version OptionsZoningHeadline closer to the meeting. However, as noted above, those attending online will not be able to provide a testimony during the hearing.
City Council Work Session – November 29th
In advance of the hearing, City Council has been meeting in work sessions to discuss various aspects of the draft Development Code and Zoning Map.
• There have already been several work sessions held September-November. You can find links to all work session materials and recordings at https://cvilleplanstogether.com/draft-zoning
• The final work session before the hearing is scheduled for November 29, at 6:00 pm, in the Council Chambers (605 E Main St). The agenda and materials are available https://charlottesvilleva.portal.civicclerk.com/event/1938/files/4462 , and the registration link to attend virtually is available https://www.charlottesville.gov/944/ZOOM-Webinars
Draft Zoning Ordinance Update
(August 14, 2023) The draft consolidated Zoning Ordinance is available on the Cville Plans Together website. This consolidated draft combines all three of the draft zoning modules that were shared earlier this year, and also provides several updates based on feedback from City staff, the community, the Planning Commission, and City Council.
The Charlottesville Planning Commission will hold a Public Hearing for the draft Zoning Ordinance rewrite on Thursday, September 14, 2023. The meeting will begin at 4:00 PM and will be held at City Hall, in the Council Chambers (605 East Main St), and virtually, via Zoom. For more information, please visit the Cville Plans Together website.
Module 1 of the Draft Zoning Ordinance
Since fall 2022, we have been working to draft the zoning ordinance based on the Diagnostic + Approach Report. Over the next three months, we will begin sharing the draft zoning ordinance for community review and comment. This will happen in three parts (a.k.a. “modules”):
- Module 1: Zoning Districts, Rules of Measurement, Land Use Table, Zoning Map - cvilleplanstogether.com/draft-zoning
- Module 2: Development Standards (landscaping, parking, signs, lighting, etc.) – Module 2 can be found here .
- Module 3: Zoning Administration (review processes) – Module 3 can be found here . The Comment Deadline for Module 3 will be the middle of June.
- A Consolidated Draft will be released the week of July 24th.
The dates above are subject to change; please continue to check the website for details.
Diagnostic and Approach Release
We are pleased to share that our first report of the zoning rewrite phase of the Cville Plans Together process has been posted to the Cville Plans Together website.
This “diagnostic + approach report” is like a conceptual plan for our new zoning ordinance, laying out a set of ideas that could be included in Charlottesville’s new zoning ordinance in order to advance the goals and strategies of the Comprehensive Plan.