FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 29, 2023
Arrest Made Linked to Illegal Firearms and Narcotics Investigation
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA – On Wednesday, March 29, 2023, members of the Jefferson Area Drug Enforcement Task Force (comprised of the Virginia State Police, Albemarle County Police Department, DEA, Nelson County Sheriff’s Office, and Greene County Sheriff’s Office) in conjunction with the Charlottesville Police Department (CPD) executed a search warrant in the 500 block of Cleveland Avenue, located in the City of Charlottesville.
The search warrant was executed pursuant to an investigation into the distribution of narcotics and the illegal possession of firearms. Pursuant to the executed search warrants, the following items were seized:
- 9 firearms (including an AR-15 pistol with no serial number, an AK-47 assault rifle, and a 10-22 rifle with a pistol grip and a hi capacity magazine)
- Approximately 3 Pounds of Marijuana
- Approximately 1,600 Counterfeit M30 fentanyl pills
- Approximately 200 Grams of methamphetamine, 428 grams of cocaine, and 256 grams of fentanyl
- $4,691 in U.S. currency
As a result of the operation, 18-year-old Shahiem Taushaun Michie of Arrington, VA, was arrested on the following charges:
- 18.2 -248 -(2) counts of Possession with intent to Distribute a controlled substance Classified in the Schedule 1 or 2 of the Drug Control Act.
- 18.2 – 308.4 - Possession of Firearms while in possession of a controlled substance Classified in the Schedule 1 or 2 of Drug Control Act.
Michie was held without bond at the Albemarle County Regional Jail.
This is an ongoing investigation; anyone with information pertaining to the case is encouraged to submit an anonymous tip via Crime Stoppers Tip Line at (434) 977-4000.
“The Charlottesville Police Department and Commonwealth Attorney’s Office will continue to prioritize the investigation and prosecution of crimes involving firearms and large quantities of narcotics.”
Michael Kochis, Chief of Police, CPD
Joe Platania, Commonwealth’s Attorney
Public Safety Information Officer
City of Charlottesville