Register to Vote
Look up your voter registration status and polling place online, apply to register or update your registration at the Virginia Department of Elections.
Need to Register?
In order to vote in Virginia, you must be registered. The deadline to register to vote is 21 days before most elections.
Already Registered but Moved or Changed Your Name?
If you are already registered but have moved or changed your name you need to update your registration. The deadline to update your registration is the same as that for registering to vote. You can update your registration securely online at the Virginia Department of Elections.
Need to Check your Registration?
You can check your voter registration status at the Virginia Department of Elections to see if you need to register to vote or update your registration.
Please Note: If the locality (city or county) you choose in the drop-down field does not match your current registration, the search will come back "Record Not Found." The borders between Charlottesville and Albemarle are confusing. Try the other one. Then try your previous Virginia locality. You may still be registered at your former address.
Some students who use a parent’s home for DMV purposes unintentionally switch their voter registration back home when renewing a driver’s license.
If you are not registered where you currently live, and the voter registration deadline for the next election has not passed, you can still submit an update online. If the deadline has passed, call our office at 434-970-3250 and we will help you review your options. But don’t wait to call!
Need an Application?
There are several ways to register to vote or update your voter registration:
- Information and registration forms for persons living overseas or in the military are available at the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- Currently registered Virginia voters may update their registration entirely online, and Virginia residents with a Virginia driver’s license or DMV-issued ID card may register completely online at the Virginia Department of Elections.
- Others can fill out the application on line, but then must print, sign and mail it so that it is postmarked by the registration deadline. (Faxes or email are not acceptable.)
- Mail in applications are available at Virginia Department of Elections as well as all local public libraries (JMRL), the City Hall lobby, DMV and other agencies also have paper applications. A full listing of agencies that have paper applications is available at the Virginia Department of Elections website.
- In person at any General Registrar’s office. Our office is located at 120 7th Street NE Room 142 (next to The Pavilion and across the Mall from the Transit Station) and is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Please contact us at 434-970-3250 if you have questions or need assistance.