Request to Speak
City Council holds a Matters by the Public session, called "Community Matters", for up to 16 speakers during each regular meeting, which starts at 6:30 PM. Speakers may sign up in advance of the meeting for 8 of the 16 slots. You may request a speaking slot starting at 9:00 AM the day after the previous Council meeting.
Pre-registered Speaker list for April 5 City Council meeting
- Nancy Carpenter
- Rosemary Miller
- Christa Bennett
- Dr. Craig Luther
- Laurence Mann
- Prof. John Edwin Mason
- Shantell Bingham
- Myra Anderson
Speaker Wait List
Sign up to Speak
If you wish to sign up in advance to speak at a regular City Council meeting, please fill out the Community Matters Request to Speak form. The deadline for signing up for an opportunity to secure one of eight advanced slots is 9:00 AM the day of the meeting.
You may also email the Clerk of Council’s office or call 434-970-3113. Please provide your name, address, and the topic about which you wish to speak.
Process for Determining Speaker slots 1-8 and Wait List
Each request is assigned a number. All numbers are submitted to an online random number sequencer that generates random numbers in the range of total sign-ups. (Example: 30 people sign up, and 30 random numbers are generated between 1 and 30.) The first 8 randomly generated numbers are given speaking slots. The remaining speakers are placed on the wait list in the randomly generated order. Both the list of eight speakers and the wait list are published on the City’s website by Noon on the day of the Council meeting. Clerk staff will notify speakers of their status. Waitlisted individuals may fill speaker slots if any of speakers 1-8 are unable to attend the meeting.
- Speakers may speak for a maximum of three minutes and shall begin by identifying their name and place of residence.
- Matters being considered under Public Hearing should not be discussed during Community Matters.
- Once pre-registered speakers have spoken, the mayor will open the floor for the remaining slots during Community Matters.
- Participants wishing to speak during electronic meetings indicate so by using the Raise Hand icon. If a speaker is not present when their name is called, the slot will be forfeited.
- The person whose name is listed on the speaker sheet must be the person who begins speaking, although they may be accompanied by others and may share or concede their time.
- Matters by the Public is also held at the end of each meeting; there is no limit on the number of speakers, and the same three minute time limit applies for each speaker. Advance sign-ups are not required.
- For public hearings, a sign-up sheet will be provided by the Clerk at 6:00 PM in Council Chamber the day of the meeting. [procedure modified for virtual meetings]
For more information, please see Section D of the Charlottesville City Council Meeting Procedures (PDF), or contact the Clerk of Council’s office by email or by phone at 434-970-3113.