Attic Insulation Rebate
Charlottesville Gas offers a rebate up to $300 when you have a licensed contractor add insulation to your home’s attic.
Upgrading the insulation in your home’s attic is one of the most cost-effective ways to increase your comfort, lower your heating and cooling bills, and improve your home’s energy efficiency.
Rule your Attic!
Rule Your Attic! Energy Star® knows that 90% of American homes are under-insulated, which means 9 out of 10 U.S. homeowners are wasting money on their energy bills.* With Rule Your Attic! homeowners are encouraged to take action today and insulate appropriately to both save energy and save money. *Compared to 2006 IECC standards, Source: Boston University and NAIMA
Requirements for Attic Insulation Rebate
- Customer must be the home/rental property owner and be in good credit standing with the City of Charlottesville
- Must use natural gas for home heating**
- Available to existing single-family homes only, and does not apply to garages or new construction
- The existing R-value of attic insulation of the home must be R-30 or less and the ending R-value must be R-38 or greater
- Valid for attic insulation installed between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022***
- Attic Insulation installation must be performed by a licensed contractor; at this time the rebate does not apply to self-install projects****
- Only one attic insulation rebate per property address
- Dealers/Contractors are not eligible to receive their customer’s rebate
**Natural gas fireplaces do not qualify as the primary source of home heating.
***Attic Insulation installed between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021 is eligible for a $200 rebate only.
****Insulation installed through the no-cost home weatherization program is ineligible to receive a rebate.
Note: Charlottesville Department of Utilities reserves the right to verify completed jobs before payment of a rebate. Rebate programs are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Funding and guidelines for these programs may be changed or discontinued at any time without notice.
Applying for this Rebate
All applications require the following documentation:
- Photo documentation of pre-existing R-value prior to work being performed
- Copy of invoice stating pre-existing R-value, added R-value, and square footage covered
- Photo documentation of new R-value installed
- Itemized cost of insulation on invoice
- Completed rebate form (PDF)
How to submit your rebate:
- Submit your request electronically
- Or you can mail the form and required documentation to:
City of Charlottesville
305 4th Street NW
Charlottesville, VA 22903
If you need a copy of the rebate form mail to you, please contact us at 434-970-3812