Outreach & Engagement
The Energy and Water Management Program (EWMP) supports efforts to help City staff implement energy and water efficient strategies and behavior in the workplace. The program uses education and outreach to City staff and those that utilize City facilities around what they can do and how their behaviors might have an impact on a buildings utility usage.
There are two primary outreach audiences the EWMP are supporting involving City staff and Charlottesville City Schools.
Outreach initiatives include checklists for offices to reduce their energy and water impacts, Better Business Challenge efforts for both City and School buildings, and partnership between the EWMP and Schools.
Better Business Challenge
The City of Charlottesville and Charlottesville City Schools are part of the current Better Business Challenge being hosted by the Community Climate Collaborative. The hope is that this challenge will not only help improve the performance side of the many City managed buildings but also encourage involvement from staff and students to change some behaviors.
Learn more about the Better Business Challenge on the Challenge Website.
Energy and Water Management in Charlottesville City Schools
Charlottesville City Schools and the City’s Energy and Water Management Team (EWMT) are working together to reduce the energy and water footprint of all City schools. On April 11th, 2019 the School Board approved an Energy and Water Performance resolution, showing a commitment to achieving and maintaining high performing school facilities.
The EWMT is working with each school to raise awareness about energy and water saving practices through education and outreach efforts that include distributing educational materials and providing tips and strategies that students and faculty can use to reduce the energy and water impact at our schools.
Each quarter a different theme emphasizes aspects of energy and water efficiency/conservation.
The 2020-2021 year themes are all based around Committing to Energy and Water Saving Actions!
Winter (December – February): Pick an action, do an action!
Put your knowledge into action- pick an action that helps you save energy and water at home and at school!
We started off the school year strong with a new commitment to save energy and water. Now it is time to put your knowledge into action! The Energy and Water Management Program wants you to pick an action that helps you save energy and water and start to do it! Each time you do your action, you will help save more energy and water, and combined with all of your classmates, you all will have a positive impact helping Charlottesville be more sustainable! You can start small with just one action and work on repeating it each week or each day. Grow your action by getting your f0riends and family involved and see who can be the most consistent at doing your energy and water saving action! Together we will all have a big impact to save energy and water in Charlottesville.
- Start off small: Pick a small action like turning lights off as you leave a room or turning the faucet off when scrubbing your hands with soap (or choose your own!).
- Repeat, repeat, repeat: Do your energy and water saving action over and over again, each day!
- Grow your action: Expand your action to save more energy and water by including your family!
- K - 4th Grade: Energy and Water Winter 2020/2021 Activity Sheets for Lower Levels (PDF)
- 5th - 12th Grade: Energy and Water Winter 2020/2021 Activity Sheets for Upper Levels (PDF)
Fall (September – November): New school year, new commitment to save energy and water!
The City’s Energy and Water Management Team is back again for another school year to help us reach our energy and water saving goals! Whether we are at school or at home this fall, their tips and messages are important to follow.
As a reminder of why we are doing this, energy and water are essential resources we need to use everyday; however, they also require a lot of effort including money and hard work to make into electricity for our lights or clean, safe water to drink. In addition, the overuse of these resources can have bad impacts on our environment even here in Charlottesville. So, let’s start the school year with a new commitment to save when we can by following some of these important tips and actions we learned last year.
- Only Use What You Need: Turn off the lights and faucet when you are done!
- If You See Something, Say Something: Report a water leak or an open door to an adult.
- Reduce Our Energy and Water Waste: Use a reusable water bottle and unplug electronics when not in use.
- K - 4th Grade: Energy and Water Fall 2020 Activity Sheet for Lower Levels (PDF)
- 5th - 12th Grade: Energy and Water Fall 2020 Activity Sheet for Upper Levels (PDF)
Spring (March – May): Make that action be your new normal.
Summer (June – August): Share and inspire others to save.
Student Summer 2020 Activity Sheets to help you take what you learned around how to save energy and water at school and apply it at home!
- K - 4th Grade: Energy and Water Summer 2020 Activity Sheet for Lower Levels (PDF)
- 5th - 12th Grade: Energy and Water Summer 2020 Activity Sheet for Upper Levels (PDF)
You can read more about our programs join efforts on the Charlottesville City School’s Energy and Water Management Program Page.
The Value of Energy & Water
- Last one out? Flip the switch!
- Turn the water off when not in use.
Understanding our Energy & Water Use
- Turn the lights off when you leave a room
- Make an effort to unplug personal electronics
- Turn the water off when not in use
- If you see a water leak or hear a running toilet, report it!
Reducing our Energy & Water Waste
- Keep outside doors closed
- Fill up your reusable water bottle with tap water
- If you see a water leak or open outside door, report it!
Energy & Water Management School Activity Sheets
- Energy and Water Summer 2020 Activity Sheet for Lower Levels (PDF)
- Energy and Water Summer 2020 Activity Sheet for Upper Levels (PDF)
- EWMP CCS Fall 2020 Activity Sheet Lower Grades (PDF)
- EWMP CCS Fall 2020 Activity Sheet Upper Grades (PDF)
- CCS EWMP Winter 2020 Activity Sheet Lower School (PDF)
- CCS EWMP Winter 2020 Activity Sheet Upper School (PDF)