- Sustainability Initiatives
- A Green City
- Water Conservation
- Programs & Resources
- Water Conservation at School
Water Conservation at School
Water Conservation Save at Home: KID’S EDITION
While many students are at home, kids and their whole family can work on saving water!
Earth Day Tips and Activity Sheet (PDF)
Check out this coloring book with great water saving tips (PDF).
Here is a list of ways to reduce your water usage while at home that the whole family can work on. Save at Home Kid's Edition (PDF).
Go to the City's Energy and Water Management Program Page (LINK) for TONS of activity sheets focused on helping you save energy AND water!
Back to School List: Water Conservation Edition
Here at Charlottesville Water Conservation, we have created our own back to school list! There are great tips and tricks to save water and be sustainable as you prepare for the school year or during the school year.
- Reusable Water Bottle: Only 1 out of 5 plastic bottles is recycled, and it takes almost 700 years for them to decompose. Make sure a reusable water bottle is in everyone’s backpack this year to stay hydrated and reduce waste.
- Shorter Showers: Now that the first day of school is quickly approaching, it’s time to get back into the daily morning routine! Try to limit everyone’s shower to five minutes or less to save 10-25 gallons! As a bonus, get a free WaterSense labeled showerhead from City Hall and save even more!
- Clean (water-friendly) Laundry: Running full loads on cold saves a lot of water AND it is better for your clothes!
- Reusable Lunch Containers: Planning on sending the kids to school with packed lunches? Consider getting reusable containers and lunch boxes instead of single-use baggies.
- Donations: Has your family accumulated school clothes that no longer fit? Donate them to a local charity! This is a great way to declutter your house and find a second use for your old clothes.
- WaterSense Games: Get the kids ready for school by testing their “water sense” with EPA WaterSense’s fun games and teaching them why it is important to save water.
City of Charlottesville Energy and Water Management Program
Charlottesville City Schools and the City’s Energy and Water Management Team are working together to reduce the energy and water footprint of all City schools. On April 11th, 2019 the School Board approved an Energy and Water Performance resolution, showing a commitment to achieving and maintaining high performing school facilities.
If you are a teacher with the Charlottesville City Schools and want more information about this program and how to get more involved, check out the CCS’s web page on the Energy and Water Management Program.
We offer water conservation educational classes, activities, and goodies for kids of all ages. So if you are a located in the City and are a teacher (public or private) or a youth community leader, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. You can contact us by filling out this form.
Water Conservation Back to School List
Energy and Water Management Program Fall School 2019 Poster
Energy and Water Management Program Winter School 2019 Poster
Energy and Water Management Program Winter Spring 2020 Poster
Energy and Water Management Program with Charlottesville City School's High School Principle