As a fully-accredited agency by the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission, the Mission of the Charlottesville Police Department is to improve the quality of life of citizens living, working or visiting the city.
In accomplishing our mission, we are guided by the following Values:
- We believe that it is our responsibility to protect the constitutional rights of all persons and that we are accountable to the community.
- We believe that crime is not only a police problem, but a social problem impacting all aspects of the community, and we are committed to working with the community to address these issues.
- We accept our leadership role in providing for a safe community through innovative approaches in the suppression of crime and the prevention of public disorder.
- We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity.
- We are committed to professionalism in our operations and are dedicated to providing comprehensive personal service to all our people.
Our Vision is to form partnerships that enhance the lives of our citizens and established a lasting trust between the community and their police department.